Monday, August 18, 2008

The benefits of unemployment

So as a recent college graduate; I've been having trouble getting a job right away. You would think that as soon as you receive your degree you would get a job, but its not so easy. This is how and why I am not claiming unemployment. Can you believe I got the idea to do this from my younger sister? Smh. I've never felt the need to file for unemployment because to me it was never that serious. Even though I would have to empty out my savings at times to pay off bills, but now that I've discovered unemployment I'm never going back. So while I remain unemployed, I do not remain complete broke.
Heres how it works: First google unemployment insurance in your state. If you reside or worked in NY here is the site: https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do. Since I live in NY I am only familiar with how it works here, but the website for your states department of labor should have directions.
So you got to the above site on a weekday between 7am-7pm and entire your social security number. Then they will ask you a bunch of questions that you have to answer, all of them pretty simple. Then 3 days later you'll receive an information packet in the mail. It'll let you know how much you'll receive per week, etc. You have to file every week and don't receive your first payment until your 3rd week of being unemployed. So if you're unemployed, file as soon as you're out of a job.
Trust me, I would be super broke if it weren't for unemployment :-D. So goodluck and let me know if you have any questions.

No comments: